On the subject of Minion:
I think it might also be important to bring up that Minion flat-out cross-dresses and acts female/feminine to fit a part in an evil plan, seemingly unprompted, and not only does Megamind not give a single shit about it— he tells Minion he looks good in complete seriousness.
Like most movies handle this like a big cross-dressing gag but I really didn’t get that feeling from this movie; it just happens and it’s acknowledged that Megamind thinks its great and then the situation keeps going as if it’s no big deal. This continues on through the movie off and on, with Minion combing the wig or wearing the apron for no obvious reason other than he enjoys it. The only time it comes up again is a subtle joke that isn’t poking fun at the cross-dressing and is really just poking fun at Hal being a Grade A moron.
So lets add to the checklist:
- Main character is not a white person
- Main character is not a talking animal in an attempt to avoid touching a race issue at all
- Main character is a villain; also a big jerk
- Main character has serious flaws, makes realistic mistakes, and spends most of the movie having an existential crisis
- Main character is a victim of bullying and racism
- Main character never once appears interested in Female character in a objectifying way; never treats her as a prize to be won (and when he tries to act entitled to her affections she gives him the verbal smack-down he needs and WOAHMUHGOD HE ACTUALLY ACKNOWLEDGES HE’S BEING A JERK AND STOPS)
- Main character respects Female character and likes her for her intelligence and asks for her help; does not ever comment on her looks in a way that is supposed to “validate” her, and appears to not care one way or another how she looks because that’s not important to him
- Henchman is also flawed (and adorable)
- Henchman cross-dresses and acts feminine; no one questions it
- Henchman and Main character fight like immature kids and frankly its adorable
- Female character doesn’t put up with anything
- Female character turns down men; is shown being punished for it by the “Nice Guy” in a way that is creepily familiar to women
- Female character is proven many times to be very picky and has clear standards she won’t budge on.
- Female character is ACTUALLY INVOLVED WOAH and not just a side character slash love interest prize for the man
- In fact she is way more enthusiastic about pulling a ray gun out on someone or throwing things at them than the other (male) characters.
- Real Villain is a “Nice Guy” who won’t leave the female character alone
- I REPEAT: REAL VILLAIN IS A “NICE GUY”
- Also great soundtrack I mean tell me it’s not awesome I dare you
IN OTHER WORDS:
DREAMWORKS MAKES A GOOD MOVIE WITH GOOD, SMART, SUBTLE JABS AT THE PROBLEMS OF SOCIETY AND THE FANDOM IS FULL OF WOMEN IN THEIR 20s-30s GEE I WONDER WHY
maybe they should
Dreamworks is letting go of a serious gem of a franchise if they never touch this again.